Monday, November 28, 2016

Idle hands are the devil's playground

When we were kids, trouble managed to find many of us when we were bored and had plenty of time with nothing to do. This was certainly the case for me, as a twin growing up in Phoenix, AZ back in the 80's and 90's. These days, at the age of 37, I still find myself with plenty of time, but plenty to do.

I love to surf, I love to run, and love to be active. I also love motorcycles. Right now I ride a 2002 Ducati Monster 750, this is the 3rd motorcycle I have owned. I've also had a 2004 Yamaha R1, and a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i, and currently a 1973 Honda CB500. Japanese bikes are great, but this Italian lady has been a good lady to me.

I bought the M750 from a guy in Wenatchee in August of 2011 at about 9000 miles. Since then, I have managed to put about 20,000 miles on it. That's a LOT of riding. I ride all summer; mountain pass loops around Mt Rainier, out to Yakima, Blewett Pass and to Leavenworth. I've rode more than 1000 miles in 27 hours over labor day weekend of 2013 (Seattle to Centralia, west to Long Beach, south to Seaside, OR, east to Portland, North to Kelso, Washington. East to Mt St Helens/Adams, over to Rainier, and home. And capping the summer of 2014, I rode about 4500 miles in two weeks from Washington through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, California, and back up the coast highway to Portland and back home in Seattle.

Around the fall of 2013, someone knocked my bike over while parked in downtown Seattle. They were "kind" enough to pick the bike up, but did not leave a note. The damage: rear brake master cylinder, dented tank, scratches all over, dented headlight housing, and other cosmetic damage. Total cost? $5000. Progressive Insurance covered the damage though. So while the bike has been unrideable because of the rear brake, and the tank and body parts in the shop, I decided it was time to rebuild it.

2002 Ducati Monster during Mt Rainier pass ride, circa 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment